Helping You Turn Your American Dream Into A Reality

Immigration Lawyer For Domestic Assault Victims

At Alano Immigration in San Francisco, I have helped victims of crime and domestic abuse obtain permanent residence and temporary lawful status through VAWA and U visas. I am Grace R. Alano, a compassionate and experienced attorney, and I can help close the door to worrying about your immigration status in California or elsewhere in the U.S. Learn how I can help you address your legal challenges, so that you can focus on moving on with your life.

Visas For Victims Of Crimes – T And U Visas

Temporary nonimmigrant visas are available for victims of certain crimes, including:

  • T visas for victims of human trafficking
  • U visas for victims of violent crimes (some common examples include domestic violence, involuntary servitude, kidnapping, false imprisonment, assault, armed robbery, blackmail and extortion)

These visa categories allow for a potential stay of three years and the eventual possibility to apply for lawful permanent residence. To do so, you must cooperate in any criminal prosecution.

Victims Of Domestic Violence – U Visa And VAWA

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and the Battered Immigrant Women’s Protection Act of 2000 allow individuals who are married to U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents to obtain residency in two ways – through self-petitioning or through cancellation of removal if you are in removal proceedings.

Although the law is called the “Violence Against Women Act,” VAWA protects both women and men. In the U.S., all people are given equal protection under the law. As such, I have helped both men and women apply for immigration status under VAWA.

There is also an extreme cruelty waiver available for those seeking to remove conditions on residence on Form I-751. I am familiar with advocating for these types of applications and can also refer clients to a therapist if needed.

Contact Alano Immigration

If you have been the victim of a crime or of domestic violence at the hands of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, call or contact me at 415-413-8472 or send me an email to schedule a consultation.

I offer consultations in which potential clients discuss their possible cases with me and learn about their options from an experienced immigration attorney. As always, my consultations are confidential, and when applying for the above forms of relief, your case will be confidential.